IS NULL/IS NOT NULL

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Takeadoe

    #1

    IS NULL/IS NOT NULL

    Folks,

    Why is it that the only 2 choices that I have in my pull down menu of
    values for each of the fields in my table are "IS NULL" AND "IS NOT
    NULL?" Why are the values for the field showing up? When I'm
    filtering by county for example, why don't the 88 different values for
    county appear in the drop down menu?

    As always, your help is genuinely appreciated!

    Mike

  • Br@dley

    #2
    Re: IS NULL/IS NOT NULL

    Takeadoe wrote:[color=blue]
    > Folks,
    >
    > Why is it that the only 2 choices that I have in my pull down menu of
    > values for each of the fields in my table are "IS NULL" AND "IS NOT
    > NULL?" Why are the values for the field showing up? When I'm
    > filtering by county for example, why don't the 88 different values for
    > county appear in the drop down menu?
    >
    > As always, your help is genuinely appreciated!
    >
    > Mike[/color]

    I assume you have created some combo boxes or something? What is thier
    recordsource/query?
    --
    regards,

    Br@dley


    Comment

    • david epsom dot com dot au

      #3
      Re: IS NULL/IS NOT NULL

      I don't know what you are doing, but many things
      in Access only work if the fields are indexed.

      Create an index or relation on each field.

      (david)

      "Takeadoe" <mtonkovich@msn .com> wrote in message
      news:1139971557 .576067.258670@ g47g2000cwa.goo glegroups.com.. .[color=blue]
      > Folks,
      >
      > Why is it that the only 2 choices that I have in my pull down menu of
      > values for each of the fields in my table are "IS NULL" AND "IS NOT
      > NULL?" Why are the values for the field showing up? When I'm
      > filtering by county for example, why don't the 88 different values for
      > county appear in the drop down menu?
      >
      > As always, your help is genuinely appreciated!
      >
      > Mike
      >[/color]


      Comment

      • Takeadoe

        #4
        Re: IS NULL/IS NOT NULL

        David - I created the table and it was populated with deer harvest data
        from Verity's Teleform software. The data were exported automatically
        from Teleform once the data were verified. That is the source for the
        data. When I set up the table, I simply named the variables and
        assigned them a type of numeric or character - simple as that. Does
        this help? I will be honest - I am brand new to Access so any
        suggestions have to be basic! One of the variables is county of
        harvest. When others are filtering the data, it would be nice if they
        could have the 88 county names show up in a drop down box.

        Also - it is possible to cut a paste screen shots into messages?

        MIke

        Comment

        • Takeadoe

          #5
          Re: IS NULL/IS NOT NULL

          Bradley - here is my response to David - which brings up a question
          about responding to more than a single post at a time - is it possible
          to reply to more than one "reply" at the same time?

          Thank you for your time and help.

          Mike

          David - I created the table and it was populated with deer harvest data

          from Verity's Teleform software. The data were exported automatically
          from Teleform once the data were verified. That is the source for the
          data. When I set up the table, I simply named the variables and
          assigned them a type of numeric or character - simple as that. Does
          this help? I will be honest - I am brand new to Access so any
          suggestions have to be basic! One of the variables is county of
          harvest. When others are filtering the data, it would be nice if they
          could have the 88 county names show up in a drop down box.

          Also - it is possible to cut a paste screen shots into messages?

          Comment

          • Br@dley

            #6
            Re: IS NULL/IS NOT NULL

            Takeadoe wrote:[color=blue]
            > Bradley - here is my response to David - which brings up a question
            > about responding to more than a single post at a time - is it possible
            > to reply to more than one "reply" at the same time?
            >
            > Thank you for your time and help.
            >
            > Mike
            >
            > David - I created the table and it was populated with deer harvest
            > data
            >
            > from Verity's Teleform software. The data were exported automatically
            > from Teleform once the data were verified. That is the source for the
            > data. When I set up the table, I simply named the variables and
            > assigned them a type of numeric or character - simple as that. Does
            > this help? I will be honest - I am brand new to Access so any
            > suggestions have to be basic! One of the variables is county of
            > harvest. When others are filtering the data, it would be nice if they
            > could have the 88 county names show up in a drop down box.
            >
            > Also - it is possible to cut a paste screen shots into messages?[/color]

            Back to my original question... what is the recordsource/source type of the
            dropdown (combobox?)
            --
            regards,

            Br@dley


            Comment

            • david epsom dot com dot au

              #7
              Re: IS NULL/IS NOT NULL

              It's not polite to paste screen shots into messages in this group.
              (Also, some of us never read messages which include screen shots)

              It may be possible to cut and paste the text from some messages:
              try [Ctrl][C]. Otherwise, you just have to copy it out by hand.

              You may have indexes: it depends on the name of your fields.

              Go To Tools, Relationships to create relationships between fields.

              I don't guarantee this will help, but I think it might.

              I never use filter by form, and I never do data entry directly
              into tables. If this doesn't help, you might like to re-post
              with a more descriptive Subject.

              (david)


              "Takeadoe" <mtonkovich@msn .com> wrote in message
              news:1140045900 .988916.56130@f 14g2000cwb.goog legroups.com...[color=blue]
              > David - I created the table and it was populated with deer harvest data
              > from Verity's Teleform software. The data were exported automatically
              > from Teleform once the data were verified. That is the source for the
              > data. When I set up the table, I simply named the variables and
              > assigned them a type of numeric or character - simple as that. Does
              > this help? I will be honest - I am brand new to Access so any
              > suggestions have to be basic! One of the variables is county of
              > harvest. When others are filtering the data, it would be nice if they
              > could have the 88 county names show up in a drop down box.
              >
              > Also - it is possible to cut a paste screen shots into messages?
              >
              > MIke
              >[/color]


              Comment

              • Takeadoe

                #8
                Re: IS NULL/IS NOT NULL

                I guess I don't know what you mean. The dropdown box appears when I
                filter by form either the original table or any of the queries of this
                table. If this is not what you are after, could you please be a bit
                more specific?

                Thank you Bradley.

                Mike

                Comment

                Working...