Conversion: Access 2000 to Access 2003

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Deb

    #1

    Conversion: Access 2000 to Access 2003

    All 12 of my department's machines are being converted next week from
    Windows 2000/Office 2000 to Windows XP/Office 2003. I have downloaded
    the Migration document from Microsoft for distribution but would like
    your input regarding Access as many of our group use it.

    I am concerned especially about linking to other Access databases. And
    about connecting to Dbo data. We also regularly connect to and from
    Excel files.

    All of our databases are rather small, and we do not share many, so SQL
    Server is not an issue.

    Looking forward to hearing your insight.

  • Steve

    #2
    Re: Conversion: Access 2000 to Access 2003

    As Lyle and David can attest to, I've had a bad deal with Office 2003
    on Windows XP. For whatever reason, Access 2003 imported about 5 times
    as many records as it was supposed to when working with ONE query only.
    No other queries displayed this problem. It seems to have something to
    do with Access' interaction with dBASE IV files. I don't know if this
    problem exists when using other types of external files.

    In a nutshell, it seems to me that you will probably have a number of
    problems at first, but you will eventually find them all and either be
    able to fix them or create workarounds for them.

    Comment

    • David W. Fenton

      #3
      Re: Conversion: Access 2000 to Access 2003

      "Deb" <koplend@swbell .net> wrote in
      news:1134069789 .188901.195630@ g43g2000cwa.goo glegroups.com:
      [color=blue]
      > All 12 of my department's machines are being converted next week
      > from Windows 2000/Office 2000 to Windows XP/Office 2003. I have
      > downloaded the Migration document from Microsoft for distribution
      > but would like your input regarding Access as many of our group
      > use it.
      >
      > I am concerned especially about linking to other Access databases.
      > And about connecting to Dbo data. We also regularly connect to
      > and from Excel files.
      >
      > All of our databases are rather small, and we do not share many,
      > so SQL Server is not an issue.
      >
      > Looking forward to hearing your insight.[/color]

      I've never had a single A2K application that didn't run problem-free
      in A2K3, without any conversion or any adjustements to code or
      anything else.

      I don't know what you mean by "Dbo" data, though.

      --
      David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
      dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

      Comment

      Working...