storing a scanned document...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RAB

    #1

    storing a scanned document...

    I want to scan documents and then store them in an Access database.
    What file type would I want to scan the document as? Would I want to
    store the document file in the database or a path to the scanned
    document file?

    Thanks,
    RABMissouri

  • Randy Harris

    #2
    Re: storing a scanned document...


    "RAB" <rabmissouri@ya hoo.com> wrote in message
    news:1132948166 .292785.79740@g 49g2000cwa.goog legroups.com...[color=blue]
    > I want to scan documents and then store them in an Access database.
    > What file type would I want to scan the document as? Would I want to
    > store the document file in the database or a path to the scanned
    > document file?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > RABMissouri
    >[/color]

    Personally, I've had much better results storing paths to documents than the
    documents themselves. It improves performance, minimizes bloat, stores an
    almost unlimited number of files and there is no limit to the document types
    you can store. pdf is probably the most universally readable - almost every
    system has the Acrobat Reader. jpegs are little bit smaller.


    This is the filter that I set up for the Common Dialog (don't use the OCX
    control) for users to add files.

    ' Set up the Common Dialog Filter
    cdl.Filter = "All Files (*.*)|*.*" & _
    "|Word Documents (*.doc)|*.doc" & _
    "|Acrobat Files (*.pdf)|*.pdf" & _
    "|Image Files (*.jpg, *.tif)|*.jpg;*. tif;*.jpeg" & _
    "|Text Files (*.txt)|*.txt" & _
    "|Excel Files (*.xls)|*.xls" & _
    "|Rich Text Files (*.rtf)|*.rtf"

    HTH,
    Randy

    Comment

    Working...