Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • John Ortt

    #1

    Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

    Hi All,

    Our company is migrating from Windows NT to XP and in the process from
    Access 97 to Access 2003.
    Due to the phased rollout we are faced with a situation where some users are
    still on NT while others have been fully upgraded, but all users need to use
    the same Access databases.
    At first we tried just opening the Access 97 databases with XP but we were
    worried that some of the less computer-literate employees may click "yes" on
    the "Do you want to convert this database to the latest version" prompt.
    The solution we have come up with is to create an exact duplicate of the
    database in XP but with all the Tables removed and relinked to the 97
    version.
    This solution is working well on the whole but there have been a couple of
    instances where that database has required a repair.

    The main problem we are still having is that my colleagues and I can no
    longer make any changes to the database while there are any users in. Is
    this a setting which we can change?
    For instance, on 97 you could alter a form in the live database and then
    save the altered form......XP doesn't seem to allow you to do that.

    Any help would be massively appreciated.

    Thanks in Advance,

    John


  • Allen Browne

    #2
    Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

    John, as you found, Access 2000 and later do a monolithic save, and there is
    no setting to override this.

    For other suggestions on adapting to the newer versions, see:
    Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003
    at:
    Issues you may face when converting a Microsoft Access 97 database to a later version. Covers setup issues, conversion issue, and usability issues.

    (The monolithic save issue is listed as #6 under 'Usability issues'.)

    --
    Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
    Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
    Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

    "John Ortt" <JohnOrtt@Idont wantspamsonoret urnaddress.com> wrote in message
    news:42ef2804$1 _1@glkas0286.gr eenlnk.net...[color=blue]
    >
    > Our company is migrating from Windows NT to XP and in the process from
    > Access 97 to Access 2003.
    > Due to the phased rollout we are faced with a situation where some users
    > are
    > still on NT while others have been fully upgraded, but all users need to
    > use
    > the same Access databases.
    > At first we tried just opening the Access 97 databases with XP but we were
    > worried that some of the less computer-literate employees may click "yes"
    > on
    > the "Do you want to convert this database to the latest version" prompt.
    > The solution we have come up with is to create an exact duplicate of the
    > database in XP but with all the Tables removed and relinked to the 97
    > version.
    > This solution is working well on the whole but there have been a couple of
    > instances where that database has required a repair.
    >
    > The main problem we are still having is that my colleagues and I can no
    > longer make any changes to the database while there are any users in. Is
    > this a setting which we can change?
    > For instance, on 97 you could alter a form in the live database and then
    > save the altered form......XP doesn't seem to allow you to do that.
    >
    > Any help would be massively appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > John[/color]


    Comment

    • John Ortt

      #3
      Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

      Thanks Allen,

      No the answer I wanted but still very helpful :)


      "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@Se eSig.Invalid> wrote in message
      news:42ef2c33$0 $11948$5a62ac22 @per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au ...[color=blue]
      > John, as you found, Access 2000 and later do a monolithic save, and there[/color]
      is[color=blue]
      > no setting to override this.
      >
      > For other suggestions on adapting to the newer versions, see:
      > Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003
      > at:
      > http://allenbrowne.com/ser-48.html
      > (The monolithic save issue is listed as #6 under 'Usability issues'.)
      >
      > --
      > Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
      > Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
      > Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.[/color]



      Comment

      • Keith

        #4
        Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

        "John Ortt" <JohnOrtt@Idont wantspamsonoret urnaddress.com> wrote in message
        news:42ef2804$1 _1@glkas0286.gr eenlnk.net...[color=blue]
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Our company is migrating from Windows NT to XP and in the process from
        > Access 97 to Access 2003.[/color]

        I wonder which company that is.
        [color=blue]
        > Due to the phased rollout we are faced with a situation where some users
        > are
        > still on NT while others have been fully upgraded, but all users need to
        > use
        > the same Access databases.
        > At first we tried just opening the Access 97 databases with XP but we were
        > worried that some of the less computer-literate employees may click "yes"
        > on
        > the "Do you want to convert this database to the latest version" prompt.
        > The solution we have come up with is to create an exact duplicate of the
        > database in XP but with all the Tables removed and relinked to the 97
        > version.[/color]

        Seems reasonable.
        [color=blue]
        > This solution is working well on the whole but there have been a couple of
        > instances where that database has required a repair.[/color]

        I'm not sure that is related to A2k3 linking to an A97 BE.[color=blue]
        >
        > The main problem we are still having is that my colleagues and I can no
        > longer make any changes to the database while there are any users in. Is
        > this a setting which we can change?
        > For instance, on 97 you could alter a form in the live database and then
        > save the altered form......XP doesn't seem to allow you to do that.
        >[/color]

        This is very dangerous practice, far more likely a source of corruption than
        linking different versions. You should never attempt to change a FE in the
        production environment, you should always work on a development copy and
        deploy it to production once testing is complete. You should also ensure
        that all users have their own copies of the FE. This would also minimise
        the risk of unwanted conversions taking place. Applying user-level security
        would stop it in its tracks but is a more long-term solution.

        HTH - Keith.




        Comment

        • David W. Fenton

          #5
          Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

          "Keith" <keith.wilby@ba eAWAYWITHITsyst ems.com> wrote in
          news:42ef7dea$1 _1@glkas0286.gr eenlnk.net:
          [color=blue]
          > This is very dangerous practice, far more likely a source of
          > corruption than linking different versions. You should never
          > attempt to change a FE in the production environment, you should
          > always work on a development copy and deploy it to production once
          > testing is complete. You should also ensure that all users have
          > their own copies of the FE. This would also minimise the risk of
          > unwanted conversions taking place. Applying user-level security
          > would stop it in its tracks but is a more long-term solution.[/color]

          Secondly, each user should have their own copy of the front end, so
          if they convert, it won't affect anybody but the single user.

          This was true *before* Access 2000, of course.

          --
          David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
          dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

          Comment

          • Keith

            #6
            Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

            "David W. Fenton" <dXXXfenton@bwa y.net.invalid> wrote in message
            news:Xns96A6BE7 089BAAdfentonbw aynetinvali@216 .196.97.142...[color=blue]
            > "Keith" <keith.wilby@ba eAWAYWITHITsyst ems.com> wrote in
            > news:42ef7dea$1 _1@glkas0286.gr eenlnk.net:
            >[color=green]
            >> You should also ensure that all users have
            >> their own copies of the FE. This would also minimise the risk of
            >> unwanted conversions taking place.[/color]
            >
            > Secondly, each user should have their own copy of the front end, so
            > if they convert, it won't affect anybody but the single user.
            >[/color]
            Erm, didn't I already say that David? ;-)


            Comment

            • Trevor Best

              #7
              Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

              Keith wrote:[color=blue]
              > "David W. Fenton" <dXXXfenton@bwa y.net.invalid> wrote in message
              > news:Xns96A6BE7 089BAAdfentonbw aynetinvali@216 .196.97.142...
              >[color=green]
              >>"Keith" <keith.wilby@ba eAWAYWITHITsyst ems.com> wrote in
              >>news:42ef7dea $1_1@glkas0286. greenlnk.net:
              >>
              >>[color=darkred]
              >>>You should also ensure that all users have
              >>>their own copies of the FE. This would also minimise the risk of
              >>>unwanted conversions taking place.[/color]
              >>
              >>Secondly, each user should have their own copy of the front end, so
              >>if they convert, it won't affect anybody but the single user.
              >>[/color]
              >
              > Erm, didn't I already say that David? ;-)
              >
              >[/color]

              Can I just add that all users should have their own copy of the front end.
              ;-)
              --
              [OO=00=OO]

              Comment

              • Trevor Best

                #8
                Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

                Keith wrote:[color=blue]
                > "David W. Fenton" <dXXXfenton@bwa y.net.invalid> wrote in message
                > news:Xns96A6BE7 089BAAdfentonbw aynetinvali@216 .196.97.142...
                >[color=green]
                >>"Keith" <keith.wilby@ba eAWAYWITHITsyst ems.com> wrote in
                >>news:42ef7dea $1_1@glkas0286. greenlnk.net:
                >>
                >>[color=darkred]
                >>>You should also ensure that all users have
                >>>their own copies of the FE. This would also minimise the risk of
                >>>unwanted conversions taking place.[/color]
                >>
                >>Secondly, each user should have their own copy of the front end, so
                >>if they convert, it won't affect anybody but the single user.
                >>[/color]
                >
                > Erm, didn't I already say that David? ;-)
                >
                >[/color]

                Can I just add that all users should have their own copy of the front end.
                ;-)
                --
                [OO=00=OO]

                Comment

                • Keith

                  #9
                  Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

                  "Trevor Best" <nospam@besty.o rg.uk> wrote in message
                  news:42f104b0$0 $318$da0feed9@n ews.zen.co.uk.. .[color=blue][color=green][color=darkred]
                  >>>Secondly, each user should have their own copy of the front end, so
                  >>>if they convert, it won't affect anybody but the single user.
                  >>>[/color]
                  >>
                  >> Erm, didn't I already say that David? ;-)[/color]
                  >
                  > Can I just add that all users should have their own copy of the front end.
                  > ;-)
                  >[/color]
                  Can I just say this is the first time I've been on television?
                  ;-p


                  Comment

                  • Keith

                    #10
                    Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

                    "Trevor Best" <nospam@besty.o rg.uk> wrote in message
                    news:42f104b0$0 $318$da0feed9@n ews.zen.co.uk.. .[color=blue][color=green][color=darkred]
                    >>>Secondly, each user should have their own copy of the front end, so
                    >>>if they convert, it won't affect anybody but the single user.
                    >>>[/color]
                    >>
                    >> Erm, didn't I already say that David? ;-)[/color]
                    >
                    > Can I just add that all users should have their own copy of the front end.
                    > ;-)
                    >[/color]
                    Can I just say this is the first time I've been on television?
                    ;-p


                    Comment

                    • Trevor Best

                      #11
                      Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

                      Keith wrote:[color=blue]
                      > "Trevor Best" <nospam@besty.o rg.uk> wrote in message
                      > news:42f104b0$0 $318$da0feed9@n ews.zen.co.uk.. .
                      >[color=green][color=darkred]
                      >>>>Secondly, each user should have their own copy of the front end, so
                      >>>>if they convert, it won't affect anybody but the single user.
                      >>>>
                      >>>
                      >>>Erm, didn't I already say that David? ;-)[/color]
                      >>
                      >>Can I just add that all users should have their own copy of the front end.
                      >>;-)
                      >>[/color]
                      >
                      > Can I just say this is the first time I've been on television?
                      > ;-p
                      >
                      >[/color]

                      I normally end up on the telly when I'm drunk... or the sideboard, or
                      the coffee table...

                      --
                      [OO=00=OO]

                      Comment

                      • Trevor Best

                        #12
                        Re: Differences between Access 97 and Access 2000/2003

                        Keith wrote:[color=blue]
                        > "Trevor Best" <nospam@besty.o rg.uk> wrote in message
                        > news:42f104b0$0 $318$da0feed9@n ews.zen.co.uk.. .
                        >[color=green][color=darkred]
                        >>>>Secondly, each user should have their own copy of the front end, so
                        >>>>if they convert, it won't affect anybody but the single user.
                        >>>>
                        >>>
                        >>>Erm, didn't I already say that David? ;-)[/color]
                        >>
                        >>Can I just add that all users should have their own copy of the front end.
                        >>;-)
                        >>[/color]
                        >
                        > Can I just say this is the first time I've been on television?
                        > ;-p
                        >
                        >[/color]

                        I normally end up on the telly when I'm drunk... or the sideboard, or
                        the coffee table...

                        --
                        [OO=00=OO]

                        Comment

                        Working...