Application crashes upon trying to commit a transaction

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ankit

    #1

    Application crashes upon trying to commit a transaction

    Hi,

    I have a VC++ application which uses a MS Access DB. I use DAO classes
    to carry out operations on the database. Off-late I have been
    experiencing a crash (of the application) after trying to execute a
    delete query. This happens only when the size of the DB reaches around
    80MB to 1GB.

    Any idea as to why this could happen? I have checked the code
    thoroughly and it seems to be fine. Upon attaching a debugger, it shows
    an 'Access Violation Error'. Does Access cause problems when the size
    of the DB grows large?

    Please let me know your suggestions/ideas.

    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Ankit

  • downwitch

    #2
    Re: Application crashes upon trying to commit a transaction

    Ankit wrote:[color=blue]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a VC++ application which uses a MS Access DB. I use DAO classes
    > to carry out operations on the database. Off-late I have been
    > experiencing a crash (of the application) after trying to execute a
    > delete query. This happens only when the size of the DB reaches around
    >
    > Any idea as to why this could happen? I have checked the code
    > thoroughly and it seems to be fine. Upon attaching a debugger, it shows
    > an 'Access Violation Error'. Does Access cause problems when the size
    > of the DB grows large?
    >
    > Please let me know your suggestions/ideas.
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance.
    > Ankit[/color]

    I hope you mean 80-100MB here:
    [color=blue]
    > 80MB to 1GB[/color]

    because otherwise that's a pretty huge size variation.

    Approximately how many records are you trying to delete in the
    transaction? Have you checked the MaxLocksPerFile setting in the
    registry?



    Comment

    • polite person

      #3
      Re: Application crashes upon trying to commit a transaction

      On 22 Jul 2005 03:19:25 -0700, "Ankit" <ankit.saxena@g mail.com> wrote:
      [color=blue]
      >Hi,
      >
      >I have a VC++ application which uses a MS Access DB. I use DAO classes
      >to carry out operations on the database. Off-late I have been
      >experiencing a crash (of the application) after trying to execute a
      >delete query. This happens only when the size of the DB reaches around
      >80MB to 1GB.
      >
      >Any idea as to why this could happen? I have checked the code
      >thoroughly and it seems to be fine. Upon attaching a debugger, it shows
      >an 'Access Violation Error'. Does Access cause problems when the size
      >of the DB grows large?
      >
      >Please let me know your suggestions/ideas.
      >
      >Thanks a lot in advance.
      >Ankit
      >[/color]
      1. I think the Access (JET) limit is 2 Gbytes
      2. the word "access" in your error message isn't Microsoft Access, this is a memory error
      in your program but perhaps you knew this.

      Comment

      • Ankit

        #4
        Re: Application crashes upon trying to commit a transaction

        Hey sorry for the typo, I indeed meant 80MB - 100 MB. The query usually
        tries to delete approx 200 - 250 records.

        Comment

        • downwitch

          #5
          Re: Application crashes upon trying to commit a transaction

          Oh right. Polite person is right, by the way, his #2 is very important
          to understand--that's a Windows error.

          And what I said doesn't apply for 200-250 records. The "access
          violation" errors I was getting on my machine recently were indeed
          caused by bad (hardware) memory, so I'd have another look at that
          machine if I were you.

          Comment

          • Ankit

            #6
            Re: Application crashes upon trying to commit a transaction

            Thanks for the advices.

            I did know that the "Access Violation" were Windows errors and were not
            related to MS Access DB in any way.

            I have not been able to figure out a solution yet. Nevertheless, thanks
            for all the help :)

            Regards,
            Ankit

            Comment

            Working...