Windows 2003 Server and Oplocks

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MikeH

    #1

    Windows 2003 Server and Oplocks

    I'm in the process of moving an Access application onto a different
    server and need some advice about oplocks...

    The application is based on Access 97. The Jet back-end replicas are
    currently sitting on Novell servers. The application supports an
    average of 20 users on each replica and has been reliable since it was
    first put into production nearly 7 years ago.

    We're about to move away from Novell, so the back-end replicas are due
    to be moved onto new boxes running Windows 2003 Server. The client PCs
    are all running Windows 2000 Professional.

    Should I turn-off opportunistic locking on the server (as was the case
    in the Novell environment)? I'm assuming the answer is 'yes', but can
    anyone confirm this.

    Thanks,

    Mike

  • Larry Linson

    #2
    Re: Windows 2003 Server and Oplocks

    "MikeH" <mheden@bigfoot .com> wrote
    [color=blue]
    > Should I turn-off opportunistic locking on
    > the server (as was the case in the Novell
    > environment)? I'm assuming the answer
    > is 'yes', but can anyone confirm this.[/color]

    As far as I know, the answer is "Yes". But, to be sure, and to get other
    performance and corruption-avoidance tips, tricks, and hints for the
    multiuser environment, visit the best collection of information and links
    about that subject that I know -- MVP Tony Toews' site,
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm.

    BTW, there's a newsgroup devoted just to multiuser issues --
    microsoft.publi c.access.multiu ser. It is carried by many news servers, but
    is also available from Microsoft's free news server, news.microsoft. com.

    Larry Linson
    Microsoft Access MVP




    Comment

    Working...