Autonumber problem Access 2002

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • heather e blair

    #1

    Autonumber problem Access 2002

    I have a table where the key field is an autonumber. The highest number
    was about 900, and there are several gaps in the sequence. This database was
    recently converted from Access 97 to Access 2002/XP

    At some point, it started using low numbers for new records. I compacted the
    database, and it's still doing this.

    Is this a problem? Will it start overwriting the high numbers when it gets
    to them?

    Thanks!

    - Heather

    --
    - Heather



  • Leigh P

    #2
    Re: Autonumber problem Access 2002

    It's doing this -because- the database was compacted.
    (Either deliberately or during conversion)

    It won't overwite your existing entries - but nor should you really need to
    be worried about what values they are.
    They're really just for behind the scenes use.


    --


    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Mr Leigh Purvis - Proprietor
    Database Development
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Email: Leigh@DatabaseD evelopment.co.u k
    Web: www.DatabaseDevelopment.co.uk
    Mobile: 07713 166938
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    "heather e blair" <h431@midway.uc hicago.edu> wrote in message
    news:KkX0e.22$4 5.12102@news.uc hicago.edu...[color=blue]
    > I have a table where the key field is an autonumber. The highest number
    > was about 900, and there are several gaps in the sequence. This database[/color]
    was[color=blue]
    > recently converted from Access 97 to Access 2002/XP
    >
    > At some point, it started using low numbers for new records. I compacted[/color]
    the[color=blue]
    > database, and it's still doing this.
    >
    > Is this a problem? Will it start overwriting the high numbers when it[/color]
    gets[color=blue]
    > to them?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > - Heather
    >
    > --
    > - Heather
    >
    > http://surgery.uchicago.edu/hblair/
    >[/color]


    Comment

    • Alan Webb

      #3
      Re: Autonumber problem Access 2002

      Heather,
      In principle, the point for me to using an autonumbered column is to have a
      value around that the computer maintains which I can use to uniquely
      identify a row in a table. It shouldn't matter how the column is numbered.
      There are cases where control over the sequence of numbers is useful and in
      those cases instead of relying on Access' built-in Autonumber I use a bit of
      code that works in conjunction with a table in the database to generate my
      own numbered sequences. If you have a need to control the way a sequence of
      numbers is generated I'd write a routine to do that for you.

      "heather e blair" <h431@midway.uc hicago.edu> wrote in message
      news:KkX0e.22$4 5.12102@news.uc hicago.edu...[color=blue]
      >I have a table where the key field is an autonumber. The highest number
      > was about 900, and there are several gaps in the sequence. This database
      > was
      > recently converted from Access 97 to Access 2002/XP
      >
      > At some point, it started using low numbers for new records. I compacted
      > the
      > database, and it's still doing this.
      >
      > Is this a problem? Will it start overwriting the high numbers when it
      > gets
      > to them?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > - Heather
      >
      > --
      > - Heather
      >
      > http://surgery.uchicago.edu/hblair/
      >[/color]


      Comment

      • jimfortune@compumarc.com

        #4
        Re: Autonumber problem Access 2002

        heather e blair wrote:[color=blue]
        > I have a table where the key field is an autonumber. The highest[/color]
        number[color=blue]
        > was about 900, and there are several gaps in the sequence. This[/color]
        database was[color=blue]
        > recently converted from Access 97 to Access 2002/XP
        >
        > At some point, it started using low numbers for new records. I[/color]
        compacted the[color=blue]
        > database, and it's still doing this.
        >
        > Is this a problem? Will it start overwriting the high numbers when[/color]
        it gets[color=blue]
        > to them?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > - Heather
        >
        > --
        > - Heather
        >
        > http://surgery.uchicago.edu/hblair/[/color]

        Heather,

        Why not go into table design, delete the autonumber key field, create
        it again, put the key back on and save? That should fix it, renumber
        the values and get rid of any gaps.

        James A. Fortune

        Comment

        Working...