Questions about Reports.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dancer

    #1

    Questions about Reports.

    I spent hours working on a Report. Got it just the way I wanted. Then
    when I previewed it, noticed that it pulled the info from the
    database/table that was not sorted properly.

    Do I have to make a completely new Report? Does this report keep the
    original info in the order it was originally in the table?

    Or should I be using a Query to base the Report on?

    Or do I just sort the table and then rewrite the Report????

    I am completely new to Access. Used dBase III for years and years. And
    the thinking behind these programs is different. Well, it appears that
    way to me.

    Any help and suggestions gratefully accepted.

    Thanks.

    Dancer
  • fredg

    #2
    Re: Questions about Reports.

    On 14 Jul 2004 12:17:34 -0700, Dancer wrote:
    [color=blue]
    > I spent hours working on a Report. Got it just the way I wanted. Then
    > when I previewed it, noticed that it pulled the info from the
    > database/table that was not sorted properly.
    >
    > Do I have to make a completely new Report? Does this report keep the
    > original info in the order it was originally in the table?
    >
    > Or should I be using a Query to base the Report on?
    >
    > Or do I just sort the table and then rewrite the Report????
    >
    > I am completely new to Access. Used dBase III for years and years. And
    > the thinking behind these programs is different. Well, it appears that
    > way to me.
    >
    > Any help and suggestions gratefully accepted.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Dancer[/color]

    Any sort order in your table or query recordsource is irrelevant in a
    report.
    Sort the report using the Report's Sorting and Grouping dialog.
    In design view click on
    View + Sorting and Grouping
    --
    Fred
    Please only reply to this newsgroup.
    I do not reply to personal email.

    Comment

    • J. Paul Schmidt

      #3
      Re: Questions about Reports.

      <<
      I spent hours working on a Report. Got it just the way I wanted. Then
      when I previewed it, noticed that it pulled the info from the
      database/table that was not sorted properly.

      Do I have to make a completely new Report? Does this report keep the
      original info in the order it was originally in the table?

      Or should I be using a Query to base the Report on?

      Or do I just sort the table and then rewrite the Report????

      I am completely new to Access. Used dBase III for years and years. And
      the thinking behind these programs is different. Well, it appears that
      way to me.

      Any help and suggestions gratefully accepted.[color=blue][color=green]
      >>[/color][/color]

      I almost always use a query for the recordsource of a report and sorting is one
      of the main reasons (as well as only showing certain records instead of all the
      records).

      But sometimes a complicated report doesn't show things in the same order as the
      underlying query and you have to manually set the sort order in the report:
      Design mode of the report | View | Sorting and Grouping.

      Best regards,
      J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Access and ASP Web Developer

      Classic ASP Design Tips, ASP Web Database Demo, ASP Bar Chart Tool...

      Comment

      Working...