Msgbox icons - rules for using?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TC

    #1

    Msgbox icons - rules for using?

    How are people currently using the messagebox icons?

    Originally, I used:

    o vbInformation for informatory messages,
    "No more records found"

    o vbExclamation for error messages
    "Field must be entered"

    o vbCritical for serious or system errors.


    Now I use:

    o vbInformation when the user is not given choices on how to proceed, or,
    it would not be a problem if he made the wrong choice; eg:
    "Field must be entered"
    "Print record? (yes/no)"

    o vbExclamation when the user has choices on how to proceed, and it
    *could* be a problem if he made the wrong choice; eg:
    "Delete record? (yes/no"

    o vbCritical for serious or system errors.


    (1) What are other peoples' rules?

    (2) What would you do in the following specific case. I have some code
    which autmatically allocates unique IDs. Unfortunately, this can
    inadvertantly produce IDs that are rude, profane or offensive words! So I
    have a list of such words behind the scenes, for the system to avoid. There
    is a small maintenance form to add/edit/delete those words, but I do not
    want that form to display unless the user has accepted that he will see such
    words. I'd like to use vbCritical, since this is the only one that is likely
    to catch the user's attention. But that would break my rules for msgbox
    icons. What would you use in that case?

    TIA,
    TC



  • Phobos

    #2
    Re: Msgbox icons - rules for using?

    I think your original standards are fine, the icon displayed in a msgbox is
    not really that important, it just makes your app look that bit more
    professional and gives the user something to look at when your (or my) code
    breaks down.

    As for your naughty word problem, I'd use vbExclamation.

    P


    "TC" <a@b.c.d> wrote in message news:1065933216 .789370@teuthos ...[color=blue]
    > How are people currently using the messagebox icons?
    >
    > Originally, I used:
    >
    > o vbInformation for informatory messages,
    > "No more records found"
    >
    > o vbExclamation for error messages
    > "Field must be entered"
    >
    > o vbCritical for serious or system errors.
    >
    >
    > Now I use:
    >
    > o vbInformation when the user is not given choices on how to proceed,[/color]
    or,[color=blue]
    > it would not be a problem if he made the wrong choice; eg:
    > "Field must be entered"
    > "Print record? (yes/no)"
    >
    > o vbExclamation when the user has choices on how to proceed, and it
    > *could* be a problem if he made the wrong choice; eg:
    > "Delete record? (yes/no"
    >
    > o vbCritical for serious or system errors.
    >
    >
    > (1) What are other peoples' rules?
    >
    > (2) What would you do in the following specific case. I have some code
    > which autmatically allocates unique IDs. Unfortunately, this can
    > inadvertantly produce IDs that are rude, profane or offensive words! So I
    > have a list of such words behind the scenes, for the system to avoid.[/color]
    There[color=blue]
    > is a small maintenance form to add/edit/delete those words, but I do not
    > want that form to display unless the user has accepted that he will see[/color]
    such[color=blue]
    > words. I'd like to use vbCritical, since this is the only one that is[/color]
    likely[color=blue]
    > to catch the user's attention. But that would break my rules for msgbox
    > icons. What would you use in that case?
    >
    > TIA,
    > TC
    >
    >
    >[/color]


    Comment

    • Bruce Rusk

      #3
      Re: Msgbox icons - rules for using?

      [color=blue]
      > (2) What would you do in the following specific case. I have some code
      > which autmatically allocates unique IDs. Unfortunately, this can
      > inadvertantly produce IDs that are rude, profane or offensive words! So I
      > have a list of such words behind the scenes, for the system to avoid.[/color]
      There[color=blue]
      > is a small maintenance form to add/edit/delete those words, but I do not
      > want that form to display unless the user has accepted that he will see[/color]
      such[color=blue]
      > words. I'd like to use vbCritical, since this is the only one that is[/color]
      likely[color=blue]
      > to catch the user's attention. But that would break my rules for msgbox
      > icons. What would you use in that case?[/color]

      How about using TWO messages boxes in a row .... in case they clicked Yes
      mechanically, ask 'em again...


      Comment

      Working...